Mr. Sharu S. Rangnekar is a Chemical Engineer from Mumbai with a Master of Business Administration degree from the U.S.A. He carried out research work in Mathematical Economics at the Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh,U.S.A. He had management training with Imperial Chemical Industries, UK and computer training with IBM and Union Carbide Corporation, U.S.A.
He started his management career in 1951 as a Consultant in Ibcon and subsequently worked in several multinationals till he took early retirement from Searle (India) as the Managing Director at the end of 1978. He taught as Visiting Faculty at Tata Institute of Social Sciences and Management Institutes attached to Mumbai University from 1979 to 1986.
He has been a popular lecturer and writer on management topics. His books "In the Wonderland of Indian Managers", “In the World of Corporate Managers”, “How to Learn Management from Your Wife” and “Soft Skills in Management” have become management classics. His books have been translated in Marathi, Hindi, Gujrati, Bengali, Tamil and Kannad.
His lectures on management topics have been issued in pre-recorded audio-CD. He has featured in several management development video-films and video compact discs. He has participated as faculty in over 5000 management development programmes in India and abroad since1966.
His website www.sharurangnekar.com gives details of his programmes, books, Video-CDs and Audio-CD.
B.Sc.(Hons.) 1949, & B.Sc.(Tech-Chem.Engg.): University of Bombay, 1951.
M.B.A., University of Kansas, U.S.A., 1955.
Doctoral Course work, Carnegie-Mellon University, U.S.A., 1955-56.
Date of Birth :1st November 1928.
- Industrial Consultant, IBCON, 1951-58
- Head, Office Administration Department, I.C.I. (India), 1958-1961.
- General Manager, Systems & Training, Union Carbide India, 1961-68.
- Managing Director, Searle India, 1969-78.
- Management Consultant & Educator, 1979 onwards
- Fullbright-Fellow, University of Kansas, 1954
- Office of Naval Research Fellow: Carnegie-mellon University: 1955-56.
-Sriram Award for Best Article in “Indian Management”, 1969.
- Escorts Award for Best Book on Management in India, 1975.
- Bombay Management Association Award for Contribution to Management Movement, 1977.
- Lillian Gilbreth Award, for contribution to industrial engineering, Indian Institution of
Industrial Engineering, 1980.
- FIE Foundation Award for Management Consultancy & Training, 1992.
- Indian Society for Training & development: President Emeritus 1996.
- University Dept of Chemical Technology : Distinguished Contribution award : 2000
- Aravali Institute of Management: Outstanding Contribution Award presentation: Shri Rahul Bajaj,
- Life Time Achievement Award for contribution to the Institute of Management Consultants of India
- Life Time Achievement Award for contribution to Management Development by SIES College of
Management Studies, Navi Mumbai: 2007
- “The Pillar of Hindustani Society” award from TACCI (Trans Asian Chamber of Commerce & Industry) 2007
- Life Time Achievement Award for contribution to Management from Bombay Management Association
Professional Activities :
- Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering: Fellow, Honorary Member, President: 1974-77.
- Indian Society for Training & Development: Fellow, President: 1975-76, President Emeritus:1996.
- National Institute for Training in Industrial Engineering: Member, Board of Governors: 1974-83 .
- Vice chairman: 1981; Hon. Acting Director: 1982.
- All India Management Association: Chairman, Management Education Committee: 1975-79.
- Government of India: Member, Committee for Training & Development: 1971-72 .
- Chairman, Standing Committee on Management Courses, All India Council of Technical Education,
- Indo-American Chamber of Commerce: Vice-president: 1977-78 .
- Saraswat Cooperative Bank: Management Committee Member: 1976-86 .
- Haffkine Bio-pharmaceutical Corporation: Member, Board of Directors: 1977-86 .
- Indian Institute of Management-Bangalore: Member, Board of Governors: 1982-85 .
- Computer Society of India: Founding Member & Chairman, Eastern India: 1967-69 .
- Management Consultants’ Association of India: President: 1981-82 .
- Institute of Management Consultants of India: Fellow, President: 1992-93 .
- Arlabs Limited: Chairman, Board of Directors: 1984-93.
Management Education & Training :
Participated as Faculty in programmes organized by:
- Indian Institutes of Management, Management Departments of Universities
- Management Associations, Productivity Councils and other Professional Organizations.
- Central & State Government Academies, Staff Colleges and Research Laboratories.
- Private and Public sector corporations, Municipal Corporations and Hospitals.
The programmes were organized in India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Philippines,
Malaysia, Singapore, Saudi Arabia and Sri Lanka .